• Writer coaching places adult volunteers in 8th grade Language Arts classrooms to provide one-on-one support to every student in the class.
• Every other week, coaches and writers meet for 20 minute sessions to work on a current writing assignment. Coaches typically work with two students per class period.
• Coaches respond to a studentʼs writing and thinking as interested and curious readers, not as tutors or editors.
• The coach follows the young writer's lead, asking clarifying questions, and offering feedback without making changes or directing the writing for the student.
• We need around 30 coaches for this pilot to be a success. Coaches must turn in required SPS volunteer paperwork
to the main office by October 5 in order to participate. If you have questions or want to RSVP to a training session, please contact Kim Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Thank you!